Cemetery Tours with a Halloween Twist
Last Call for Downtown and Cemetery Walking Tours, ending for the year on October 15, 2017
Downtown Walking Tours starting at 10:30 AM Saturdays. This event runs
each Saturday through October 14th. Participants should meet outside Horizon
Books 15 minutes before the start time. Tours last approximately 11⁄2 hours. For
additional information, call (231) 995-0313.
Walking tours of Oakwood Cemetery, on Sundays. Cemetery tours are
available at 6:00 PM every Sunday thru October 15. These tours focus on the
unique history of the area and the early pioneers who founded the community we
know today. Geared towards an adult audience, the tours will last about 11⁄2
hours. Participants are encouraged to wear shoes suitable for hiking over uneven
terrain. They should meet on the sidewalk outside the cemetery near the Eighth
Street entrance, approximately 15 minutes prior to start time. For additional
information, call (231) 941-8440.
Traverse Area Historical Society Monthly Programs
- November 19th: Twentieth/Twentieth-First Century History of Merchant
Shipping on the Great Lakes. Speaker is John Brian, recently retired from 25+ years as a merchant marine deck officer on the Great Lakes
- December: – Off for the Holidays
- January 21st: – Downtown Traverse City Development, 1950 – Present.
Speaker is Russ Soyring, Traverse City City Planner
- February 18th: History of Clinch Park. Speaker is Jenny Loup, University of Michigan degree in History and former employee at Clinch Park Zoo.
- March 18th: History of Traverse City Area Public Schools. Speaker is Sharon Jennings, long-time TAHS member and retired TCAPS elementary teacher.
- April 15th: Oral History Vignettes from local Traverse City figures:
Organized by Jenny Loup
- May 20th: Fishing in the Grand Traverse Area. Speakers to be Determined